Getting Started With Whiplash
The idea of handing off inventory and fulfillment responsibility to an outside party can be daunting—When do we make the switch? How can we make sure nothing falls through the cracks?
We get it. This is a critical time. We’ll be here to guide the process—and to make sure the transfer is seamless.
Here’s what to expect:
First things first. When you create your account, you will give us your credit card information—but no charges will be made.
2. Connecting Your Store / Importing Your Items
To fulfill your orders, we need to get a roster of your products into our system. Luckily this is a fairly easy step. When you connect your web-store (e.g. Shopify, Magento) to Whiplash we will automatically pull the inventory in for you. Details on setting up each of our integrations can be found in the menu to the left.
Alternatively, if you are not ready to connect an e-commerce platform, (e.g. you'd like to fulfill a Kickstarter campaign) simply upload a CSV of your product roster. Make sure you use the template linked there!
3. Creating a Ship Notice
A Ship Notice is a simple document that you create whenever you are shipping us product.This document gives our warehouse a heads up that stock is on the way and that we should be prepared to check it in. Create a Ship Notice here. Detailed instructions on sending inventory are here.
4. Shipping Us Your Products
During the Ship Notice creation process, you will receive your custom ship-to address. Items need to get to a Whiplash facility with customs cleared and duties paid. You'll receive a notification when your shipment hits our docs and a detailed report once items have been checked in. This takes from 2–3 days business days on average depending on the size and complexity of your shipment.
For larger shipments, including those sent by the pallet or container, we appreciate as much notice as possible via email as soon as the ship notice is created. On top of this, an appointment is required for delivery to your fulfillment location. Please ensure that the carrier contacts us at least 2 business days prior to schedule an appointment for delivery.
For an estimate for large ship notice receiving times, please inquire via email@example.com.
Scenario: You currently receive & ship orders on a daily/regular basis.
If this is the case, we generally recommend sending us your inventory in two phases. The first shipment will be between 50–70% of your inventory (across all SKUs). This allows you to maintain fulfilling orders while the initial stock is en route to us. Create an individual Ship Notice for each shipment.
Once we have received & counted in the new stock we will begin shipping orders for which we have items in stock. You will automatically receive a notice that we have received your stock and it's been counted in.
Upon receiving this notice, we recommend creating a second Ship Notice and send us the remainder of your inventory. At this point we will be shipping orders as they arrive and you can cease any fulfillment.
NOTE: We have created a number of fail-safes to ensure orders are not fulfilled more than once during the transition:
- As Whiplash receives orders that are not yet in stock, they'll be held in the Items Unavailable queue, safely out of the way.
- Any order that you fulfill and archive (on your shopping cart side) will be automatically canceled on the Whiplash side—and ignored.
- Similarly, any order that is fulfilled by Whiplash will automatically become archived (complete with shipping info) on the shopping cart side.
- As we count your inventory in, we'll begin shipping in-stock orders. So Whiplash begins shipping what it can gradually, rather than waiting until count-in has been fully completed.
- During this transaction, you may want to have Whiplash wait longer than normal to ship orders. The waiting period defaults to 1 hour, but some customers prefer waiting 24 hours initially. Orders will be in the Processing queue during this time. Gestation can be adjusted in your Preferences > General tab.
Once your stock is received and gestation has passed, orders will be ready to ship. Normal processing time on direct to customer orders is one full business day. Orders with an overnight or two-day ship method (FedEx 2-day or UPS Second Day Air) will be placed in a priority queue and every attempt will be made to ship the same day, if the order is placed before noon local warehouse time. Please contact us if you would like an estimate of the expected processing time for large orders.